Friday, May 13, 2005

 

Personal Statement

In the UK, we have to send off a statement with our Uni applications, which is a way of selling ourselves to the Uni. This is mine... see what you think. Would you give me a place? Our society and culture define who we are, and, to others, who we are not. Humanity is almost endlessly varied in terms of social structure, rituals, beliefs and many other aspects of life, whether mundane or profound. The diversity of humankind fascinates me, as two societies can be highly distinct even if they live in a close geographical proximity. Of course there has been a lot of contact between cultures, particularly in the last few hundred years due to the rise international trade and European imperialism, and in more recent times, large-scale migration. My ancestors arrived in Britain after anti-Semitic persecution, and this is what makes me want to study the social sciences, as knowledge of other cultures leads to understanding and tolerance. I currently study Classical Civilisation, which I thoroughly enjoy, as it explores the art and architecture of a fascinating people, in particular, the aspect of daily life was focused upon in the current syllabus, showing the contrast between the free mans life, complete with athletics and the symposia, and the life of a woman with weaving and rearing children. Another aspect of the Classics course is the study of Greek Tragedy, in particular plays by Euripides, and these give glimpses into the mind of Greek men and their anxieties, notably towards women. The analysis of these plays is much easier if Freudian notions are kept in mind, and help, particularly in regards to understanding the culture of misogynism. Another course that I have taken at ‘A’ level in Religious Studies. Religion has always fascinated me, as it has driven the evolution of civilisation, and is just as important to a society as culture, as the two are closely entwined in all but the most secular of cultures. Social values are closely linked to the dominant historical religion in a society I enjoy reading material associated with these subjects. I enjoy reading material outside of the courses that I study, and have recently enjoyed books by Karen Armstrong, Kate Fox and Jared Diamond. I am involved in various clubs and societies including the Classics society that holds theatre trips as well as inviting various people from the world of classics to give lectures. A recent speaker was Susan Woodford whose talk on ancient Greek vase painting was fascinating. I am also a member of the William Jones Society, which meets to discuss current affairs. Other groups that I belong to are the film society that shows foreign and independent films, the Liberal Democrat party, as well as being a prefect in school. I am currently guest writer for the school newspaper ‘The Lion’ and have contributed articles on subjects as diverse as the plight of the Bolivian Brazil Nut farmers to the issue of homosexual marriage. I enjoy cooking and have worked as a volunteer in the British Red Cross.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?